Tuesday, November 3, 2009

soundtrack to intermission

Winter's a comin', right behind the corner - I can feel it. I'm starting to get all sorts of self destructive again, lashing out not necessarily against others, but myself. Trying to push myself, as EXTREME as I can. How much partying? How much negativity? How much pessimism? Alcohol binging much? Not necessarily self pity or indulgence, more just, eh, whatever, there's nothing else going on.

Halloween was kind of a wake-up call. I can't sit here and worry, feel bad about yesterday, the past year - what I've missed vs what I have. If I start this shit up before it even starts snowing, I'm in trouble. Truth be told, I have some pretty fantastic friends in my crew - dudes & gals who will stick through it with me, even when I'm not so much superfunfantasticcrazy Jodi, but even when I'm boringsadunenthused Jodi. Trouble is, sometimes these two will collide with the lethal combination of alcohol, and then everyone gets hurt by the explosion. I drunk text, talk trash, get all sorts of nogood. This bit's gonna chill out. This isn't to say no drinking ever - I did actually consume two overpriced PBR bottles this very evening on my bowling date with Miss Ashley, but no more Last Friday nights, that's for sure.

So to distract myself? In my post-era of shame and embarassment of drunken behavior, I've been fully immensing myself with new (and old) music. I mean, c'mon. I write about it (or at least when I'm motivated I can). I talk about it. I rock out to it. I have several self lip-sync danceoffs in my mirror with it. I sing to my cat to it. I strut to the train with it. Etc. So of course, it's time. Time to turn off the tv, dvds and even give reading a rest. Just sit in my cozy bedroom, curl up in my pink and purple bedding, surround myself in a pillow fort illuminated by my pac-man xmas tree light wall design. Pump up the jams.

I'm really feeling more positive, upbeat tracks right now. While I don't think I'd ever shell out the dollars, I am definitely enjoying select tracks from the recently downloaded R&B/Pop fusion sounds of Keri Hilson & The Dream. Both are total fly summer soundtracks crammed full of cheesey "Oh Girl's,"  "Drop Your Booty's," and "My Baby," (and sport cameos from mr.west, which sure don't hurt).

On top of that, the Swedish pop princess Annie has succeeded in getting me to pump up those 8 lb dumbbells in style. "Hey Annie" and "I Don't Like Your Band" are delectable, dance ready pop girly jams. While Basment Jaxx's "Scars," has got me wishing I was a post-raver kid (seriously that title track is ILL as HELL), the real winner of last weekend's downloading session belongs to the Nellie McKay/Mirah/I don't know what reminiscent girly vintage indie folk pop why the fuck haven't I heard this before outfit, The Bird and the Bee. Their album is. . . amazing. Words can't summarize my love for it. Songs like "Diamond Dave," "Polite Dance Song" and "My Love" are just too incredible to type descriptives for.

Hiphop I know I should have but didn't before - new Mos Def & Ghostface, both alright additions to the itunes library - haven't had much of a chance to check either in completion yet, but did rock the headphones in the cubicle earlier this week. Ghostface is a bit too "oh girl you so special" for me this time around, but hey it's still ghost - i ain't gonna hate. Oh yeah, and then there's this teenage twin duo named Tegan and Sara?  They dropped the (LOOOOONG AWAITED) 6th album Sainthood this last week. A more in depth summary of my true feelings is soon to follow (hopefully, once I get this stubborn woe-is-me stick out of my ass and I can concentrate on writing organized words in order vs rambling on these lil blogs). I will give you a hint, though - T&S is def good. I likes it. "Hell" is an eerie resemblance to my breakup last year. HOW EMO OF ME, RIGHT??

On top of that, I picked up two impulse buys at Laurie's tonight - The Pixies' Doolittle (gotta get the numerical track listing memorized before the big show 11/20 - can I just ramble on a quick tangent about how SUPER excited i am for my big date night with Carol & broseph??? Shit will be bananas!) and Ryan Adams' debut Heartbreaker on a gchat recommendation earlier today. While it's getting late here, (9:59 pm WHAT WHAT), and I can't seem to quit rocking the Neon Indian album (another weekend treasure discovery - synth 80's miami vice electro experi-indie pop at its absolute finest), I do fully intend on rocking the new purchases tomorrow in cubicle land.

So this, I guess, is the current soundtrack to my (not depressed, but, I guess we'll call it) Intermission Period. This is where I knock shit off and start to get real. Figure it out, as best as I can for now anyway. These beats will help get me there, even if I never spin them again 365 days from now when the Jonas Brothers take over the world and hold all hostage to their listening dismay.

Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
The Pixies - Doolittle
Tegan and Sara - Sainthood
Ryan Adams - heartbreaker
Basement Jaxx - Scars
The Bird and the Bee - Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future
The Dream - Love vs Money
Ghostface Killah - Ghostdini Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City
Annie - Don't Stop
Keri Hilson - In a Perfect World
Mos Def - The Ecstatic

and more to follow. . . . (Julian Casablancas & Girls are on my wish list, hopefully in my collection in the very near future if my wonderful co-worker with super rad taste sticks true to his "i will burn you this" word).

No comments:

Post a Comment