Monday, December 14, 2009

Top Shows of 09

What a rollercoaster year 2009 has proven itself to be, both musically and of the reality sort. So much has (and hasn't) happened. I still haven't found that cashmoney career or dreamboat hunky boyfriend, but I did sure meet a lot of new radical people and have finally landed my tight crew of homiez, got to travel, embrace my inner cat womanness and tap into my hidden hip hop talents. Oh yeah, I also caught a shit ton of new music - both live and hidden in the midst of the blogosphere.

So while I've already battled myself off and on for top albums of 09, (which has probably already flip flopped since I last scribbled it down), I'm pretty sure I can brainstorm some pretty concrete radical live music experiences. I'm going to just start free rambling, consecutive order's for squares with nothing better to do than alphabetizing their cd collection. . . But here it is. . .


1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Aragon Theater, May 26, 2009
Muzzle of Bees Review
This may be the only concert I remember the precise calendar date and that's because it's the day I was born, g's. I may have only been able to drag one pal with me, but this show was seriously one of the most memorable shows I've seen in my lifetime. Karen O screeched, growled, shimmied and shook. She seduced us all with her riot girl antics, lively strut action and incredible musicianship. With Brian Chase and Nick Zinner backing her up, there was no doubt heads rolled. Tracks from Fever to Tell, Show Your Bones and of course, Its Blitz! were accounted for - highlights included raw oldie "Art Star," the acoustic singalong "Maps," the dancetastic seizure anthem "Zero," "Cheated Hearts" (hearing this 2 days after getting "Bigger than the Sound" inked on my shoulder blade def ruled), and several others. So good, so so so good. I heart Karen O. She gave me the best birthday present any kid could ask for.


2. Kanye West & Crew (Common, Erykah Badu, Kid Cudi, Consequence, Mr. Hudson, Really Doe, etc) - Fader Fort, Austin TX, SXSW 2009
Muzzle of Bees Review
Ummmmm. You guys know I like Kanye, right? If not, you must have mistakenly stumbled onto this blog having no idea who the hell I am. I still proudly sport my Kanye shades t-shirt, post Taylor Swift, whatever. I love this dude. He created one of the top albums of the decade (Jodi's countdown soon to follow, in my head "The College Dropout" is currently battling 2/3 rank between the Postal Service's "Give Up"). All love aside, I proudly made the journey to the dusty Fader Fort tent in Austin this past March solo, with friends more encouraged by the depths of Scandonavian heavy metal and sensitive indie pop flavors. I didn't know if I'd get in or if Ye was even definitely showing up or not, but per the rumor mill, Ye would indeed be the special guest showcasing Good Music, and that he did. It was a collaborative effort, and he gave his fellow proteges just as much time to shine in the limelight as he gave himself, offering the crowd what they really wanted. I got to see Common/Erykah Badu duet There is a Light. I got to see Kid Cudi back up Ye on Welcome to Heartbreak, and then Cudi strut to the Crookers' remix of Day N Nite. I got to see (multiple!) College Dropout tracks - Spaceship. Get Em High. 808 tracks, Love Lockdown tore that shit up. I was standing directly beside, dancing elbow to elbow with YACHT. I mean, how fresh is that? I met new peeps and danced my fucking ass off. I remember walking out of that tent feeling more exhilirated and high on adrenaline from such an amazing show that words couldn't do justice to what I had just experienced - pure positivity. An amazing night, one not to be forgotten. I'm still smiling ear to ear thinking about what went down in that dirty ass tent, while I caught Ye at Lolla in 08, that performance didn't come close to SXSW. Incredible.



3. YACHT - Schuba's, Chicago - one week before SXSW in March
5 Questions with YACHT
Muzzle of Bees Review
While I caught YACHT months later at the Empty Bottle and missed a 3rd shot at NYC by minutes, Schuba's was still the illest night of all. Having little knowledge of the electronic now duo outfit, I was familiar with their background and DFA affiliation, realized they were dope with labelmates LCD Soundsystem and had spun The Summer Song a handful of times in efforts of familiarizing myself with their content pre-show. A friend from Madison had come to the city and this seemed like the ideal meet up. Dancing out my ears. The audiovisual backdrop, illuminated with various artsy graphics, triangles, contrast of light/darkness and wicked ass dance moves courtesy of Jonah and Claire got the small, intimate, yet intensely lively crowd doin' tha stanky leg. (Literally, this was my first exposure to that horrendous track, yet thanks to the duo's smiling, ironic dance interpretation, I can't help but feel fondly towards this obscenity.) This show was only a preview of one of my top albums of 09, "See Mystery Lights," and I again, walked away from this set, forever grateful for checking it out. I also bought my first t-shirt from a merch stand since probably freshman year of college, just to introduce myself to Claire and Jonah and to thank them for such a kickass night. Seriously do yourself a favor and never pass up a chance to check this duo, I hear they're about to hit the road with Bobby Birdman soon. . .



4. Metric - Metro, Chicago - sometime in June
Muzzle of Bees Review
This show I think may have more sentimental memories than performance wise, and that's because it happened to be the first time I hung out with Dara. Thanks to a creepy dude who all but chased me out of Club Foot, I stumbled upon my new bff and loudly (drunkenly) commented on her fake gecko tattoo and haircut. Slurring out, "Hay do you like Metric?" (She did), I found my plus one to take my extra comped ticket off my hands and together we bonded over the likes of "Monster Hospital," "Help I'm Alive," "Soft Rockstar," "Twilight Galaxy" and several others. We danced like the V.I.P. princesses we is and the only hotter lady in the house was of course, Miss Emily Haines. One of the most enjoyable evenings I recollect in Chicago, and a real damned treat to find new friendships.


5. P.O.S. - Reggie's, Chicago - sometime in February?
Muzzle of Bees Review
The timeline for this particular set is foggy, although I'm 99% certain it was post Never Better's release but pre-SXSW. I couldn't find any fellow Rhymesayers/Doomtree fans to join me on my long, frightening journey to the southside, but it didn't matter. Another one of my fave releases of 09, I knew from past experience that Stef is one helluva performer and this set just blew me away. It certainly didn't help that fellow Doomtree partners in crime, Mike Mictlan, Sims and Lazerbeak were backing P.O.S. up, but overall the live energy and positive vibes, combined with some independent hip hop was just one hell of a night. Hearing the pulsing, immediate beats of "Goodbye" and "Drumsticks" rocked my face off and was totally worth nearly getting stabbed and molested on the redline back post midnight. Next time, though, I may wait with the rest of the crowd before manning the subway back solo. . . I caught P.O.S. two more times this past year, once at Rhymesayers' SXSW tent, prior to Brother Ali post Eyedea and Abilities and I swear he gave me a look and a wave as he saw me side stage, getting the fuck down in line for the never ending porta potty lines, although that may have been merely wishful thinking. . . Seeing him open up for Cursive at the Bottom Lounge was a total trip, though, and maybe not his ideal demographic, "How many of you are at your first rap show?" (2/3rds of the hands go up in unison. . . )


6. Final Fantasy - Metro, November sometime?
Muzzle of Bees Review
Owen Pallett is my dream boat. I am in lurv. He is playing Schubas's this january and it will quite frankly be mind bending to witness such a magical musician perform in such a small intimate club. I highly highly highly recommend it. My friend Nicole can attest that I was flat out hypnotized during his set opening for Mountain Goats this past month. His Andrew Bird-ish violin gliding. The loops. The way he sexily shouted in his instrument. How he plucked. How he sang like honey, dripping off the comb. Live energy, intense instrumentation, one man. MY MAN. Aggghh. "This is the Dream of Win and Regine," is probably one of my favorite songs ever. New album comes out next month, let's just say I'm excited. . . There's a reason this guy has recorded/toured with The Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear, Patrick Wolf, Stars, The Mountain Goats and anyone else that matters, it's because he rules.


7. The Pixies - November 20, Aragon Chicago
Muzzle of Bees Review
Did you really think I'd forget about my dahlings???? Like I said before, this shit ain't chronological. I just so happened to see A LOT of live music this past year and I'm having a hard time differentiating between 2009, 2008 and what I've just dreamt up. Scoring a double date with my broseph and Caroline, post gay sports bar dinner and seeeeeveral martinis, we trotted as the world's most unlikely trio to catch some badass 90's alternarock. I caught the Pixies 5 years prior, almost to the date (11/17/04 and 11/20/09) at the exact same venue - but this time I hopped a 5 minute bus ride compared to a 4.5 hour long drive from northern Wisco. I've officially made it! Ahhhhh. Doolittle was played in completion, following a handful of b-sides including Manta Ray and Weird at My School. I LOVE doolittle so this made me very happy. They closed things off with Velouria and U-Mass and while Jame was bummed about the absence of Where is My Mind, I think he got over it. The show was incredible and I was a hit with the lesbians (3 different girlfriends, what what). I sweated, danced, screamed, shook and just boogied. My bro got drunk. Caroline laughed. Best night ever and I can't wait for the next time this quartet gets hard for cash and comes up with an excuse for a Surfer Rosa concept tour. . . Here's to fingers crossed for Aragon, 2014.


8. Amanda Palmer - SXSW, Austin TX
Muzzle of Bees Review
Yep, I'm just as surprised as you are to see this name on the list. But I gots to give credit where credit's due, and this female frontier of avant garde cult faves Dresden Dolls blew my mind this past March. I can't recall if it was Paste, The Onion or who's day showcase party Palmer was rocking, but she did it right. Sweat rolling off her face, seemingly half intoxicated on sleep deprivation (she had just gotten off a Redeye from Australia), Palmer crooned, rocked and seduced this day crowd with several numbers from her debut solo effort, Who Killed Amanda Palmer. I got some incredible vids on my youtube page, which instantly got thousands of hits. Highlights included the tongue in cheek, "Oasis," "Astronaut," "Ampersand" and an incredible ukelelee rendition of Radiohead's "Creep." Girl can rock it, hard, hairy armpits, melting eyeliner and underpants exposed. Keys, mic and ukelelee, I kind of want to marry her.


9. Department of Eagles - Schubas, January when it was very, very very cold in Chicago (-37 degrees)
Muzzle of Bees Review
I had a horrible winter last year. I was in the midst of getting over a difficult break-up, had fewer friends than what I could count on one hand, hated my job and despised the cold weather. As a result, I was a hermit - a bitter, very difficult and pissy hermit. Free tickets to Schuba's or not, there was no way I was going to man up to the finger biting frigid conditions outside, despite the rave reviews of Grizzly Bear's Daniel Rossen's side project. But then my roommate went on some date with some dude or another and I was sad/mad at not having my own life. So then I kicked myself in the ass, threw on the eskimo parka/mittens and multiple scarves and surprised myself by toughing it out. My reward: the most intimate, incredibly delicate and touching live performance I had witnessed in some time. In Ear Park was one of my fave releases of 08 and Schuba's was the ideal venue to showcase this ridiculously incredible soundtrack. Despite the old drunk dude behind me who kept asking if this was the Eagles, I had a chance to grow up and be a big girl, baby steps to my newfound independence of 09 and enjoy one hell of a show. 37 degrees below zero or not, fuck you mother nature, I did done had myself a swell time.


10. Animal Collective - The Metro, Chicago - January 20?
I had read blog post and beyond about this troupe's latest effort, Merriweather Post Pavillion and was hesitant to jump onboard. Sometimes the hip new trick of the week isn't quite my fortay, but when my friend Ryan asked me if I cared to take his extra ticket off his hand, I figured I had nothing to lose. Picked up the disc that very afternoon and needless to say, I took an instant liking (it's kind of only my number one album of 2009, guys). The hazy, experimental and vibrant electronic pop magic exuded from everywhere the night of this show. It was as if the floors, walls and ceilings of the Metro vibrated with power as my fave trio of dudes went all crazy on their synths, getting the kids and drugged out hipsters dancing and moving. I don't really know, I was so mesmerized by the lights/sounds, it was as if every sensation and sense I had was in overdrive. It was an incredible first date to my courtship with AC. Def translated better live indoors vs what I had briefly caught at P4K the previous summer.

I've been pounding out ramblings for a while now, if I was to type up excerpts for every show that wowed me this past year, it'd take me weeks. (and put you into a coma of boredom). Instead, I'm stoppin this shit riiiiight heeeeyer. Some other shit I checked this past year that deserves a shout-out, (note, no Lady Sovereign, dumb biiiiiiitch). . . .

Cursive - Bottom Lounge - MoB Review
The XX/Friendly Fires - Bottom Lounge - MoB Review
Dirty Projectors - Milennium Park
The Thermals - Bottom Lounge - MoB Review & 5 Questions w/MoB
Peter Bjorn and John - Metro - MoB Review
Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band - Metro - MoB Review
Dan Deacon - Metro & Halloween in Bridgeport (just say no to mystery cupcakes, kids) - MoB Review
Mirah - Schuba's
Handsome Furs - Empty Bottle, Do the Division - 5 Questions w/MoB, MoB Review & SXSW Vid
Junior Boys - Do the Division
Crocodiles/Holy Fuck - Empty Bottle
Girls - Empty Bottle - MoB Review
Deer Tick - Empty Bottle - MoB Review
Franz Ferdinand - Riviera Theatre - MoB Review
Phoenix - Aragon
Ladytron - Metro - MoB Review & 5 Questions w/MoB
Wavves - Empty Bottle - MoB Review & SXSW Vid
Janelle Monae - SXSW
The Whigs - Bottom Lounge - MoB Review

No comments:

Post a Comment